Oyo school kidnap: Rescue operations intensify as security closes in on abductors

Chairman, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Hon. Alabi Olateju Michael, has disclosed that security operatives are closing in on armed abductors responsible for the recent coordinated attacks on schools in Esiele community, expressing optimism that the kidnapped pupils, students and teachers would soon regain freedom.
The council chairman stated that combined security teams have sustained intensive operations since the attack occurred on Friday, May 15, 2026, insisting that the abductors have now been “surrounded” within forest corridors linked to the Old Oyo National Park.
Speaking during an exclusive telephone interview on Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, Ogun State, Alabi described the incident as shocking and painful, but assured residents that government and security agencies were working around the clock to secure the safe release of all victims.
“It is a shocking incident, but efforts are ongoing with the security operatives to secure the release of the abductees,” he said. “They’ve been on the ground since Friday, and they’ve been surrounded. We have hope that soon they will be released.”
The attack, which has triggered nationwide outrage and heightened security concerns, occurred when heavily armed bandits reportedly stormed Ahoro-Esinele community in Oriire Local Government Area on motorcycles before simultaneously targeting three schools, including Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and two nearby primary schools.
According to reports, the gunmen moved from classroom to classroom, abducting teachers, the school principal and dozens of pupils before escaping into the surrounding forests.
Alabi revealed that the terrain surrounding the community contributed significantly to the attackers’ movement, noting that the area shares proximity with forest reserves frequently occupied by herders and transient settlers.
“You know we live in a farm-located area, and we are surrounded by the reserve, so we have different people coming in—herders and farmers from different places, particularly non-Yoruba speaking natives. We can’t be too suspicious, but regardless of that, we never saw it coming,” he said.
He added that the area had previously experienced isolated security incidents, including attacks on vigilante operatives in neighbouring communities such as Shepeteri and Oke-Ogun.
“Before now, they’ve attacked some local vigilantes in Shepeteri and Oke-Ogun. We know they are there. It’s far from us. It came as a shock,” he added.
The chairman disclosed that the rescue operation has not been without casualties, as some security personnel reportedly sustained injuries during early confrontations with the kidnappers.
Amid growing fear across Oyo State, Alabi dismissed widespread rumours suggesting that insecurity had spread into Ogbomoso and neighbouring towns.
On Tuesday, tension reportedly gripped schools in Ogbomoso, Ajaawa and nearby communities after videos circulated on social media showing students running out of classrooms over fears of another bandit invasion.
However, police authorities later clarified that no armed attack occurred, explaining that the panic resulted from a misunderstanding involving an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and two civilians seen within a school premises.
According to security authorities, the misunderstanding escalated rapidly, causing confusion and panic among students and residents before calm was eventually restored.
“Schools are in session in Ogbomoso regardless of the situation. There’s no attack in Ogbomoso. People are just spreading rumours to cause panic within the land. Oriire is distanced from Ogbomoso,” Alabi said.
The council chairman further disclosed that the Oyo State Government has intensified intervention efforts in affected communities.
According to him, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Inclusion, Hon. Mrs. Toyin Balogun, visited affected families, while the Deputy Governor of Oyo State, Barrister Abdulraheem Adebayo Lawal, has been deployed to coordinate security responses alongside military and local vigilante operatives.
“As the chairman of the local government, I have been there. In fact, I just left a meeting with them where we had to go and get stuff for the men in the forest.
Our dear governor has sent his deputy to the site. They’ve gone to see the wounded soldiers and vigilantes, so it is all hands on deck. Efforts will yield result,” he stated.
Alabi said he had personally visited military personnel participating in the rescue mission and reaffirmed Governor Seyi Makinde’s commitment to ensuring the victims are rescued safely and quickly.
Providing details of the attack, the chairman explained that the gunmen initially arrived on motorcycles before hijacking a vehicle belonging to one of the teachers to transport some abductees deeper into the forest.
“What we heard was that they came with motorcycles and later took the car of one of the teachers to convey these kidnapped people. They burnt it when they got to a place that was not motorable. They came with motorcycles and then made them walk,” he revealed.
He confirmed that both children and school staff were among those abducted, including teenagers and toddlers.
“The aged students are about 16, and some other kids are around 2 years old,” he said.
Sources indicated that several victims are between the ages of three and 10 years, while the youngest abductee is a two-year-old toddler.
Alabi also disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, has personally taken charge of operations in Oriire and surrounding communities, with heavy security deployments extended across vulnerable forest routes and neighbouring settlements.
“As I speak to you, the IG is in Oriire, and all the axis and neighbouring towns and environs have been guaranteed safety,” he said.
He maintained that while the initial attack generated widespread panic, security agencies have since reinforced surveillance and protection across schools and communities to prevent a recurrence.
“The first attack was unpredicted hence the panic, but there’s nothing to panic about. The security men have been there to ensure such an incident does not happen again,” he added.
The chairman confirmed that three persons lost their lives during the attack, including a commercial motorcyclist, a teacher and a mathematics teacher identified as Michael Oyedokun.
He disclosed that Oyedokun was allegedly killed and beheaded while in captivity in what authorities believe was an attempt by the kidnappers to intimidate advancing security forces.
The gruesome killing has sparked outrage across the country, with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu condemning the act as barbaric and assuring Nigerians that all abducted victims would be rescued.
Addressing concerns about school vulnerability, particularly in rural areas lacking perimeter fencing, Alabi said the state government had already initiated reforms aimed at improving school security before the incident occurred.
He explained that the Oyo State Commissioner for Education, Hon. Olusegun Olayiwola, had directed that schools across vulnerable communities be fenced, while illegal structures and roadside kiosks near school environments were also being cleared to improve visibility and monitoring.
He added that calls for increased armed security presence around schools were currently being reviewed as part of broader state security measures.
Security agencies are yet to officially disclose the exact location of the abductors, although ongoing operations are believed to be concentrated within forested areas connected to the Old Oyo National Park.
Alabi’s assurances align with earlier comments made by Professor Wole Alamu, husband of one of the abducted school principals, who also expressed confidence that ongoing rescue efforts would eventually secure the safe return of all victims.
Coalition raises alarm over exclusion of communities in Africa’s water policy framework
Our Water Our Right Africa Coalition (OWORAC) has raised strong concerns over what it desc…





